Each person's body has a different way of processing food and burning energy. To lose weight, you must eat and drink fewer calories than you burn each day. The most effective exercises for losing weight are those that make your heart and lungs work harder. If you are just beginning to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, here are two exercises that will help you make your heart and lungs work harder and burn calories:
- Walk - It is recommended for adults to walk 10,000 steps or 5 miles a day for 5 days a week. Walk with good posture, which means to hold your head up and to keep your eyes forward. Your shoulders should be relaxed and down, elongating your neck and back. Keep your back relaxed as you walk and tighten your abdominal and buttocks muscles. Get into an easy, natural stride and keep walking. Walk as far as is comfortable in the beginning and work up to one mile and then progress to more miles as you become better conditioned.
- Jog - Once you can easily walk for 30 to 60 minutes per day, step up your speed and jog. Jog with good posture and keep your chest up. Bend your arms at the elbows and swing them easily at your sides. Keep your abdominal and buttocks muscles tight and push off with your toes. Resist the tendency to jog with longer strides. Keep your stride short and fast to maximize weight loss. Jog at an easy pace and work up to jogging 5 miles a day.
Drink plenty of water before, during and after any exercise. At the end of any exercise, allow your body to cool down for 5 minutes. When you feel a bit cool and recovered from your exercise, stretch your muscles.
- Toe Points - While standing on one leg, lift up your other leg and point your toe. Hold for a few seconds and relax. Do this 10 times on each foot.
- Ankle Circles - After doing your toe points, continue with the same position to rotate your ankles in complete circles. First rotate your ankles to the left and then rotate them to the right. Do this 10 times on each foot.
- Calf Stretches - Stretch your calves by standing on a stair step with your toes and hanging your heels off the stair edge to elongate your calf muscles. Do this slowly and hold your stretch for 5 seconds. You can stretch both calves at the same time. Do this 20 times.
- Arm Circles - Stand with good posture and extend your arms out at shoulder height to the left and right of your body. Circle your arms forward and then backward 10 times each. Do this 5 times for a total of 50 arm rotations.
- Arm Reaches - Stand with your feet apart approximately the same distance as your shoulders. Reach one arm up and over your head and then tilt your arm over your head to the opposite side of your body. Hold that position for 5 seconds. Do the same movement with your other arm. Do this 25 times on each arm for a total of 50 arm reaches.
As you get more adept at walking and/or jogging, increase your endurance by doubling the amount of time spent on these two activities. You can lose weight and maintain good health with just these two activities or you can add other aerobic activities to your exercise routine. Whatever you do, as long as you get your heart rate up and your lungs breathing harder, you can burn calories and lose weight.
For a weight loss clinic near you, contact a company such as Glory Wellness Center and Weight Loss Clinic.